The Hilo Orchid Show is this coming weekend, and I finally finished my projects for the daily Silent Auction events!
I made three sets of six cards, all featuring the same design, but each featuring a different color. I’ve been working on this project off and on for the past few weeks, tweaking the design a bit here and there, and finally settling on this set. Once it was all designed, I wondered what had taken me so long to get there. Here’s a summary:
- Color. I wondered what colors I’d use. I made my first card with the new Stampin’ Up! Rococo Rose In Color. So then I tried out other In Colors. Seaside Spray worked, but the other In Colors did not. Too bright. Yes, there are brightly-colored orchids. But the style of orchid featured in the Stampin’ Up! Climbing Orchid Stamp Set and Orchid Builder dies (both retired – boo!) does not typically have bright colors. So off to the Stampin’ Up! Subtles Colors and I finally settled on Blushing Bride, Petal Pink, So Saffron and Pool Party.
- Paper. I liked my original background ideas, so decided to stick with the 6″ x 6″ Designer Series Paper (DSP) Stacks, which come in all of Stampin’ Up! current colors. However, by the time I finally decided on the design, I’d already gone through some of the DSP and there are only so many sheets of each color in a pack and I hadn’t been frugal in how I was using them. So off went an order to Stampin’ Up! for some more paper. After that, I was very careful about how I cut everything in those papers!
- Background Cardstock. I tried just a few colors, including the cardstock that matched the color theme of each card, but finally settled on Garden Green Cardstock. Ooops. I didn’t have enough Garden Green Cardstock! In our small apartment, I no longer can keep whole packs of every Stampin’ Up! color in stock. I generally buy the Assortment Packs and generally that works. But it doesn’t work if I need 4 sheets of the cardstock, and I’m down to 1-1/2 sheets. Even a new assortment pack wasn’t going to get me the other 3 sheets that I needed. So off went another Stampin’ Up! order and I’m now the proud owner of a whole pack of Garden Green Cardstock!
- Die-cutting. After much fussing around with an 8-1/2″ x 5-1/2″ half sheet of Whisper White Cardstock, I finally figured out how to get six whole sets of die-cut orchids out of one sheet of cardstock. Yay! But I still had to texturize and then die-cut the Whisper White layer on which the orchids were going to be mounted. Finally, there was the die-cutting of all the different colored cardstock to make the lips of each of the orchids. All that running stuff through a die-cutting/embossing machine was enough to cure me of the idea of die-cutting the DSP rectangle as well.
- Keeping all those little pieces from escaping! At the point where I started die-cutting the orchids, I decided to make use of my Clear Medium Envelopes to store all the pieces of each card. Everything except for the card base for each card went in an envelope. I didn’t seal the envelopes, though, so I’d be able to use them again to store cards.
- Stamping and coloring. To color the orchid pieces for each card, I set aside three sets of pieces and got one color ink pad out. This was going to be tedious, and I didn’t want to have to do more coloring that I needed to because I used the wrong color or, worse yet, got ink all over something that wasn’t supposed to have ink! I colored the Whisper White orchid pieces using that ink and a sponge dauber. They didn’t look all that pretty when they were all in pieces. But I think they came together looking pretty durned nice! For the stems, out came my Stamparatus. I laid out a dummy set of orchids on some plain paper and placed the stems where their ends would lie in the right position on the cardstock. Then I simply stamped every Whisper White layer with the Stamparatus. Love this time and ink-saving tool!
- Mounting the Orchids. As I was constructing each card, I used my Bone Folder to curl each of the orchid petals. I adhered the three-petal base piece with one Stampin’ Dimensional in the middle. I adhered all of the other pieces using Mini Glue Dots. Except for the two buds at the top, I used two glue dots on each piece. They’re not going anywhere!
- The Sentiment. My prototype used the sentiment, “Hello,” from the Varied Vases Stamp Set. But, as this is the Hilo Orchid Show, I was asked if I couldn’t have the sentiment be, “Aloha.” Alas, there is no such word in a current Stampin’ Up! stamp set. I did, however, find one on another manufacturer’s stamp set that’s in my small collection of Hawai’i themed stamps, so that’s what I used.
If you have the retired stamp and die sets, you might want to try this (maybe not 18 of them!). But even if you don’t, this is kind of a nice layout to showcase any kind of shaped die-cut. If you’d like a copy of the layout with measurements, let me know and I’ll e-mail it off to you.
Now I’m off to do some new stamping – and it will be just ONE card I’ll be making with whatever design I come up with!