If you signed up for my new Newsletter (the sign up is over at the left), then you've already seen the tutorial for the Quilt Square cards and box that I published last month. In fact, the ONLY way to that get project tutorial outside of the SUDSOL Stampin' Up! Demonstrator online group, is to subscribe to my newsletter. I'll even get the most current issue of my newsletter out to you when you subscribe!
My project for today is quite a bit different, but I think it still has a nice "quilt" type flare to it. Once again, I've CASEd (Copy and Share with Everyone) a project from one of the Stampin' Up! 2013 Convention Display Boards. In fact, I'm not sure I have any of those projects left to show off! But this one was one of my favorites. The Designer Series Paper (DSP) used for this project is no longer current, but it was one of my favorites when it was current.. On the other hand, with a design like this, I find I can use almost any set of papers and still achieve a nice look!
The fun technique for making this card is cutting the papers to make the ever-popular Sunburst design. I have a sketch to use for cutting your own papers. What I did was cut my papers to the size of the sketch (3-1/4" h x 5" w) and then mark the ends of the lines on the sketch on the top and right side of my paper. Then I cut the paper with my paper trimmer.
But wait! If you've got a guillotine style paper cutter, you can make enough paper pieces for 5 cards with one set of cuts! In fact, I took all 5 patterns I was going to use, stacked them up, marked the top and right sides of the top paper, and cut them all at the same time. Now I can make 5 cards with no extra cutting! Here's the second of the five that I made.
How much fun is that!
Now that I had the background design done, I needed to add some embellishments. As I was using Season of Style Designer Series Paper, I decided to use some Season of Style Designer Washi Tape. Love those coordinating products! I ran a piece of the Washi Tape along the bottom of both cards. That helped me cover up at least a little bit for the points that didn't quite meet perfectly in that lower left corner (shhh!).
Then I got out (for the first time!) my brand new Christmas Ornament Punch and the coordinating Stamp Set, Christmas Collectibles. I stamped both of the stamps that I used for these cards using both Cherry Cobbler and Old Olive Ink. Then I cut pieces from one of each of the stamped images and layered them onto the stamp of the other color.
I tied both cards together with a bow made up of Linen Thread, and added a layered greeting from the Stamp Set, More Merry Messages. This stamp set is not in a catalog, but it is still available from Stampin' Up!
Here is the layout for cutting the pieced layer of these cards. I hope you'll have as much fun with this project as I did!