I first learned the old saying, "That's for the birds," from my father. He had lots of different ways to express skepticism, and they were all definitely G-rated, including, "That's for the birds!" So I often think of my late father when I come across the name of the stamp set that I'm using for today's project – the stamp set, For the Birds! Just a little reminiscing before I get on with chatting about today's project!
This cute set is one of those sets that has different images with greetings or sentiments to go along with each of them. I really like that in a stamp set! I also really like stamped images that I can color or leave uncolored, depending on my mood of the day.
For this project, I colored in one image and left the other – on the envelope – with just the little heart and the grass having a bit of color. It was so much fun stamping my envelope to go along with the theme on my card, and the For the Birds stamp set is a great one for this as the images aren't too large or too fussy.
As you might imagine, as this is not the kind of a design that I typically do, I made this card in response to a challenge – a CASE (Copy and Share with Everyone) Challenge! Until I saw the challenge, I had forgotten that I'd bought some of the little doilies that Stampin' Up! sells to help us embellish our cards. The doilies they sell are white, but with a bit of color Reinker (which you can buy for every color in the Stampin' Up! collection) and some rubbing alcohol in a Spritzer (which Stampin' Up! also sells), you can make a doily any color you wish! And I wished Real Red, to go along with the Old Olive Card Base that I chose for this project. I used the Real Red in the little hearts (both on the card and the envelope) and the Old Olive (in the next on the card and the bit of grass on the envelope).
Now how did I come up with Tempting Turquoise for the bird in the nest? There are so many blues, and I really didn't have the time to try them all out. So I went to Stampin' Up!'s Color Coach. I first tried the page for Old Olive – no blues there. But when I found the Real Red page, there was Tempting Turquoise. So I settled on that for the color. I didn't want it to be too bright, so I used a Blender Pen to take some ink from the Turquoise stamp pad and used that for the bird. Cut 'lil gal!
For the finishing touch, I added a little bow of White Baker's Twine. The original from which I CASEd this project also had the Baker's Twine. But the bow was on the top of the stamped image and hid some of the bird. I decided I didn't want to hide her at all, so put my bow on the bottom.
That's how easy a CASE is! I used my colors and futzed with the layout just a bit – so it's still a CASE while having a nice touch of "Robin's Craft Room" in it!